Back in time with bathroom culture
Bathroom that combines traditional elements with modern convenience
If you love the flair of the Belle Époque and beautiful pieces with a history, then be inspired by this vintage bathroom. The bath tub and wash basin from the opulent history of bathroom culture influenced this retro style, matched with traditionally decorated tiles. Individual furniture pieces made from rough wood and elegant yet rustic natural stone slabs make for a stylish addition to the bathroom. In the shower, the exquisite wall mural painting adds a personal touch and coordinated in style with the nostalgic taps.. Lastly, the shower curtain above the bath tub is also a charming blast from the past. In this dream bathroom, the modern world of single-lever taps and floor-level showers blends in seamlessly with historical, stylistic elements.
Charming modern taps for a stylish yet convenient bathroom
The elegantly curved taps in the hansgrohe Metropol Classic range are a masterful interpretation of the retro style that nevertheless remain timelessly modern. Subtle gold-effect details add a touch of luxury that matches the free-standing bath tub and the nostalgic wash basin. The floor-standing bath mixer elegantly rounds off the dainty style of the bath tub. In the spacious shower, the overhead shower from the Raindance Classic range and the shower set ensure personal comfort, which can be conveniently adjusted at any time on the space-saving concealed-installation tap. Here, splashes of gold once again represent an atmospheric journey back in time in the bathroom.
This bathroom takes you back to the stylish past of bathroom culture in history, while meeting today’s modern demands for comfort and wellness. The nostalgic clawfoot bath tub and the Victorian wash basin unit combine modern tap technology with hints of gold. For modern convenience, the shower is floor level and harmoniously integrated into the room ambience with retro flair.
Do you relate with the statement "Everything in the past was more beautiful"? Do you love to reminisce? Do you feel at home in an environment that exudes a hint of nostalgia? Then it’s high time to incorporate vintage in your bathroom. Retro is charming, timeless and elegant - whether you want to revive the flair of the 1950s or the elegance of the Victorian powder room. There is one golden rule when it comes to high-quality vintage furnishings: The look is old-fashioned, but the technology behind it is ultra-modern. That way, you don’t have to sacrifice comfort and convenience while embarking on your "sentimental journey".
Bathroom furnishings in style: Retro from the bath tub to the wash basin
Transform your entire bathroom into a vintage dream. Or use retro elements as an effective style break in a modern space. Either way, you can get creative using a wide range of matching furnishings.
- Ceramics have many corners and edges compared to modern models, all of which are softly rounded. Counter top wash bowls are smoothly curved. Built-in wash basins have large tap hole areas. Free-standing wash basins such as wash basins on a classic ceramic pedestal or with a sophisticated metal pedestal in oiled bronze, are genuinely eye-catching. Wonderfully old-fashioned, octagonal shapes exude a nostalgic flair in hand basins. A highly retro element in toilets and bidets: They stand proudly on the floor, just as they did in the good old days.
- The look is reminiscent of a bygone era. But on the inside, you’ll find state-of-the-art sanitation technology: Antique-look taps cut no corners when it comes to quality. In terms of aesthetics, their beautiful curves, rings and elaborately embellished cylindrical shapes win people's hearts. But their star handles stick to tradition. Vintage taps are either made of shiny chrome, copper or brass – brushed matt or high gloss. And they look ultra-stylish when paired with white ceramic details.
- The free-standing bath tub is the centrepiece of the room. It embodies the luxury of the glorious periods of the past few centuries. Its opulent curves are just waiting to be shown off while it sits atop either a posh base or artistically made claw feet. The traditional tub is made of cast iron: white enamel on the inside, painted in white, black or colour on the outside. Dive into a world of wonderful nostalgia here.
- All that remains is the good old shower. Modern walk-in showers with simple glass partitions aren’t that retro. But the comfort of entering them is a must, even in a vintage bathroom. Counteract the minimalism of the shower with an opulent tap with a nostalgic look, a large shower head, thick rail and old-fashioned brass shower hose. Round it off majestically with gold – brushed or high gloss. The only way to make this even better would be with white ceramic handles. But best of all: The models boast all the comfort of a modern shower system, including a rain shower.
Walls, flooring, accessories: How to complete your retro bathroom in style
To do the nostalgic furniture justice, you need the right finish for your surfaces and pair it up with retro-style accessories for the perfect match.
- For the walls, there are beautiful vintage tiles, for example such as those with a lily pattern. Understated tiles painted in a high-gloss white brick effect conjure up nostalgic flair. If you want a particularly cosy bathroom, you can get specialised wallpaper for wet rooms. Opt for charming stripes or an opulent floral pattern to make it feel like you’re in a traditional powder room. If you want it to be totally authentic, consider covering the lower third of the walls with wood panels painted in matte white.
- Floor tiles in a vintage pattern combined with an understated wall design in white or subtle pastel colours emphasise the elegance of a traditional Victorian bathroom. Alternatively, elegant marble or hardwood flooring painted in white work well too. Black and white tiles in a chessboard pattern also give the flooring an authentic 1950s vibe.
- Last but not least, retro accessories also belong in a vintage bathroom: divinely old-fashioned mirrors with floral embellishments, retro-style vases and candlesticks, a crystal chandelier on the ceiling. A nostalgic chair as an elegant one-off piece is a great place to drape your bath robe.
Frequently asked questions about the retro bathroom
Vintage pieces are available in all product categories, from taps to ceramics right through to toilets and bath tubs.
Of course! High-quality retro bathroom furnishings look old-fashioned, but the technology is ultra-modern.
With tiles in vintage patterns or a white painted brick effect, vintage wallpaper or painted wood panels.
Floor tiles with vintage patterns, hardwood flooring and marble go well with the traditional Victorian style. Black and white tiles round off a 1950s look.
Old-fashioned mirrors, vases, candlesticks, chandeliers and individual pieces of vintage furniture.
A nostalgic journey through time with modern and indulgent comfort
A retro bathroom exudes nostalgic charm and pampers you with a timeless and elegant ambiance. All while you enjoy the comfort of modern technology. No matter whether you choose to furnish the entire bathroom in a coherent style or want to add a hint of vintage, once you have furnished your bathroom, you will see that not everything was better in the good old days.
Sign up now
Can we send you inspiration on a regular basis?
Subscribe to our newsletter!